Thursday, October 21, 2010

(HEALTHY) Chocolate Cake

Randomly I came across a chocolate cake recipe that said it was healthy. No flour, no sugar, no dairy (although isn't butter dairy?) which means--low carb and gluten free. I was intrigued and after looking over the ingredients I was a little scared....but, I had ALL the ingredients at home, so I decided to make it. The way I figure it, I'll never know if it's good or bad until I try it. Plus--with how much my kids like JUNK food, I figure if I can disguise the junk food and make it secretly healthy, then it's a win-win! :-)

The cake was basically simple to make! And turned out wonderfully....except for it was a tiny bit dry, but I didn't mind...the (very fattening) frosting helped moisten it up! :-)


Here's my cake fresh from the oven. I don't own any cake pans, so I used a disposable pie pan.

My cake after I frosted it....mmmmm.

Ashleigh's piece of cake...I didn't tell her it was any different than regular chocolate cake before she ate it. :-)

Ashleigh completely enjoying it!!! She said--"It's awesome" and later said "it's better than any chocolate cake". :-) She said she actually didn't like the frosting...it was too sweet!!! Crazy kid!


So, want to know the "secret" ingredient???

BLACK BEANS!!!!

I kid you not! I was completely repulsed by the idea that beans would be in my chocolate cake, but it worked out so well! I was so surprised! The cake was YUMMY and I will totally make it again when I need a non-guilty sweet fix! :-)


Check out the whole recipe HERE.

3 comments:

Tamsen said...

Your cake looks awesome! You know, the very best flourless chocolate cake I have is made with lentils. It is SO good! I just may have to make it again. I haven't since E was GF.

Nick and Meg said...

I'll take the recipe, please! I LOVE lentils and why not put it in a cake. :-)

Patrick and Emily said...

I've heard of black beans as an ingredient in cakes. Yum, looks good. Ashleigh is such a ham....so cute!