Wednesday, March 11, 2009

blog follower...CANDY


I am a blog follower..there are so many blogs out there that I look at on a daily basis. Money Saving Mom's website is my favorite, and at the bottom of most of her posts is Mr. Linky-where other people who blog can connect their post to hers. I've found tons of great blogs that way! This recipe intrigues me...the person who wrote this is gluten free so they use gluten free ingredients. But if you can have gluten, I see no reason why you can't use the real pretzels-for instance. I think I'll try this recipe out...there has been praise for it on 3 different blogs I've found. If you try it, let me know what you think! :)


CrockPot Chocolate Frito Candy Recipe


We went on a road trip over the weekend, and road trips mean Fritos. When we were first diagnosed with celiac, we were pleased to discover that good ol' Fritos were gluten free. It's so nice to know that they are THERE---at every gas station, and in every vending machine.

When we returned home, I still had half a bag left, and they were awfully squished after being in the backseat for 2 days. The best thing to do with crushed Fritos? Make candy! I saw this recipe posted on the Cookie Madness site, and knew we had to make it. We just had to.


The Ingredients.
--1 stick of butter
--12 oz bag of chocolate chips
--2 T peanut butter (optional if you have allergies)
--1/2 cup brown sugar
--1/2 cup chopped peanuts (optional--we used honey roasted because that's what we had)
--2 cups Fritos
--2 cups Pretzels (I used Glutino)


The Directions.

Put the Fritos and the pretzels in a large Ziploc and smash until crumby. Set aside.
Line a 9 x 13 or so cookie sheet with Release foil or parchment paper. Set that aside, too.

Put the butter, the brown sugar, peanut butter, and chocolate chips into your crockpot and set on high for 1-2 hours or until everything is really melty and you can mix it well.

It took 1 hour, 15 minutes to melt nicely for me in a 6qt Smart Pot.

Stir in your pretzel and Frito pieces. Anna at Cookie Madness did it differently. You can read what she does, here.

Using oven mits (use them! The crock is hot!) dump the hot candy out onto your lined cookie sheet and spread out with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle the peanut pieces on top.

Put the pan in the refrigerator for about an hour, or until candy has set completely. Break into pieces.

The Verdict.

Woah, mama! Man, these are amazing and wonderful and so scary in that they are SO good you want to take them all into a corner of the garage and eat them all by yourself.

Amazing. You must make them.

No comments: