Sunday, September 13, 2009

Potty Training

(journal entry---TMI (too much information) ahead)

We finally took the plunge and started potty training Preston last weekend. Nick I had 2 days together with no work so we tag-teamed it and helped support each other. Preston did GREAT!!! The first 3 days strait he had only 1 accident each day. He also (like most kids) refuses to go poop on the toilet and consequently "held it" for 2 days. Those who know him knows that he is a 2-3 times a day pooper, so to not poop for 2 days was a big deal. Then he decided to poop in his underwear (couldn't hold it any longer). He did that twice-2 days apart. Yesterday, he had his underwear off...he has to take it off completely to pee...and kept going up to the toilet to poop and then fear would take over and he would come back downstairs. He did that many many times. Finally I hear the freak out in his voice as he says "Mommy, I have to go to the toilet right now!" I hurried him up the stairs...I had just finished eating an orange and had the peels on my plate. Instead of putting the plate down I carried it with me as I see the poop coming out while he is going up the stairs. All I could think to do was put my plate out to "catch it" (which I did). EW. Definitely a sight I did not want to ever see...ah, the life of being a mom. But boy, did he feel better once he pooped.
Which brings us to today...he is still refusing to poop on the toilet, but he loves to go pee. We never had to entice him, or bribe him. He sits on the toilet with his legs spread as wide as they can go so he can "watch" the waterfall. Lol. And, he knows how to stand to pee too, but he is too scared that he will pee on himself so he doesn't do it too much. We only put him in a Pull-up at night to sleep (not for naps), but promptly in the morning he goes to the bathroom immediately and is just doing SO great! I am so proud of him. He turns 3 on Monday and I feel so happy that I can say he is potty trained before he turned 3.
Yipee!

2 comments:

Josh n Betsie said...

ok ya that was nasty. Good catch though megan. Just know the pooping does take time. I hope it goes faster for you guys. Love you and I wish you luck

Tamsen said...

oh that is so funny. I think it's a good thing you had the plate!! What else would you have had to catch it with??? Great job Preston!