Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First day of First grade

Nick and I took Ashleigh to her first day of First grade today! We got there plenty early, so we could drop off all the "required" school supplies, and spend a few minutes with her before we left for the day. In Kindergarten, the kids are taken to a designated area for the parents to pick them up, in First grade, the kids are just let out and are supposed to meet their parents, so we had to come up with a designated "wait for mommy" area. I had her lead the way to her classroom so I knew that she knew where to go, and so she could show Nick. Her teacher, Mrs. Clark, and the room assistant were in the classroom...Ash started to look a little nervous! But we dropped off the supplies, took a picture (tradition)
and since she still had 10 min before school started, we all went back outside so she could play on the playground and find her friend, Haylie B.--who is also in her class. I knew seeing a familiar face would help her feel more comfortable. Thankfully, there were NO tears...she seemed a little sad, and told me that she is going to miss me and is sad that she will be gone all day, (I was a little sad too), but I kept things up-beat for her and told her she was going to have SO much fun and I wanted her to make all sorts of new friends and to listen, be patient, and to learn a LOT! She gave me a big hug and we said good bye!

I do miss that little girl! It's nice having alone/one-on-one time with Preston...he and I get the next 3 years alone together...just like Ashleigh and I had before Preston was born! I am SO excited to have this time with him...but yes, still a little sad that I don't get to be with my little girl as much anymore....sigh. Growing up is hard! ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that little girl. I am proud of you Ashleigh! Love, G'ma Call

Russ and Suzanne Ballard said...

You started a day before the regular schools. She is so darling!! Big question - did mommy cry? Love you.