Thursday, October 1, 2009

The start of a new ME...

Since July, I have been thinking about my weight and how I don't like being the "fat sister" and having all this extra weight on my body and making excuses for why it's there and why it won't go away.

So, while in Park City last weekend I resolved to make a change when I got home. I allowed myself to eat anything and everything I wanted over the weekend, so that when I got home I would be "sick" of the processed foods and feel ready to take on a new lifestyle.

On Monday I started my new way of eating...no more processed foods, no junk food, no sugar, no oil, no butter, etc. And make my portions smaller, and eat less at a time, but more often in the day--usually 5-6 small meals and I am drinking up to 1/2 gallon of water/fluids every day!!!

My short term goal is to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight with Preston which would mean losing about 24 lbs. My long term goal is to get back down to my marriage weight which would mean losing about 40 lbs. Ideally, I would like to lose an additional 15-20 lbs on top of that, but I will be more than happy with a loss of
only 40 lbs.

I am focusing on taking thing one day at a time, and so far I have been doing great! However, things like dinner at my parent's (or Nick's parents) house terrifies me! For instance, my dad is making his famous spaghetti (which i absolutely LOVE) tomorrow for a dinner we are invited to. I am going to bring my own dinner since I won't eat the spaghetti noodles, and the sauce has some sugar in it. but I am ok with it....because I know that


"Nothing tastes as good as Skinny feels!"

And frankly, I have seen enough of a weight loss in only 4 days that I am going to stay committed to this! I have lost 4.4 lbs in 4 days!!! Pretty impressive, if you ask me! If i am able to keep this up, I will be down the 24 lbs before the end of October! I am not doing any extra working out...I walk a LOT at work each night--probably 3-4 miles, but otherwise, I am not doing anything else.

The first 2 days were HARD! I felt sluggish, and grumpy and hungry and I was craving literally everything...and when you work in a grocery store, that's hard to avoid the temptations, but I did! Yesterday, day 3, I finally was feeling GREAT! I am happier, more rested, more energetic, etc and I know it's because of the better eating! Yes, I still miss the junk food--chocolate, most of all, but I know I am doing a good thing for my body!

Nick has been a GREAT support, helping me weigh and measure my food, and not letting me cheat, and not getting fast food/pizza with me around. Like I said, I am taking this 1 day at a time, and if I cheat, I won't beat myself up about it, I'll just do better the next day...but for now, I am working hard and eating right and I feel GREAT!

6 comments:

Russ and Suzanne Ballard said...

Dad can leave the sugar out of your portion, if you like. It's only 2 Tbs per the ENTIRE pot! All the rest is very organic - our own tomatoes and green peppers, store bought mushrooms, celery & onions, but organic hamburger. You can bring/make your own pasta if you want. Does that help? Love you!! mom

Patrick and Emily said...

Why no oil? You do need some fat in your diet. I think the spaghetti is good for you. Lots of veggies, and the amount of sugar is inconsequential. If you want to make it work with your diet, just have it with whole wheat pasta and of course a smaller portion.

Glad you're feeling good. Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

I know you can do it. If I can do it you can do it. Planning ahead is the right way to approach it. It is when we are caught off guard with temptation and get over hungry that we have problems. Share you success tricks with me. I am excited to hear them. Love, Mom Call

Josh n Betsie said...

whole wheat pasta is the best. you are awesome keep it up megs

Russ and Suzanne Ballard said...

I was impressed tonight that you stuck to your diet (dad dished out some spaghetti sauce before adding the sugar)- and even more impressed that Nick didn't have a Dr. Pepper!! wow. Congrats!!

Brittany said...

Good for you! I'm so proud of you Meg...