Monday, May 19, 2008

A meaningful Saturday

On Saturday afternoon Ashleigh and I went to the park/amphitheater just 2 blocks away and attended a carnival/benefit concert. It was to help raise money for a family in our area-whom I have never met. At 7 months pregnant both the mom and unborn baby died due to an amniotic embolism. They left behind a husband and 3 other kids. They did not have insurance. This benefit had childrens carnival fun things like the big blow up bouncy houses, go fish, riding a little train, ring toss, etc. Ash had a lot of fun playing and getting prizes. We also saw that there was a silent auction-tons of tables full of great things! I almost bid on a "jazz package", but the highest bid was already at $250....too rich for my blood! After we saw everything in the park, we went down to the amphitheater where a a local country band was playing-they were great! Then some kids from BYU performed, then another band. All in all it was VERY entertaining and fun to be a part of such a wonderful community celebration. I was a little caught off guard when the tears began to pour and I couldn't seem to make them stop! I looked around at the huge crowd and was overcome with emotion. I couldn't help thinking about Jenni-the mom who died-and I imagined her looking down at us all from heaven and her feeling overly touched at the amount of people who came to show their love and support. Its too bad that such a tragic event had to take place for this family to get help from the community, but wow-what an amazing outpouring of love from the community. I LOVE my new neighborhood. It was wonderful and spiritual and I doubt that anyone who came left there with out feeling at least a little moved!

I forgot my camera, but took a picture with my phone---The family members all wore these shirts-they say--Evening of Smiles and Laughter. In memory of Jenni and Broden Pemberton.

I am so grateful that I could be a part of this event!

1 comment:

arah said...

what an awesome thing to do for that family. i can't imagine what they are going through.